Chinese New Year is one of the biggest celebrations in China, so much so that the factories typically close shop for a few weeks and go home to celebrate with family and loved ones. I say typically because while it is typical I can only attest to the factories that we work with, and every factory has it's own policy for length of time off. On our end we've spent the past few months making sure all product and packaging was sent to meet all our deadlines. On their end they've put in a lot of hard work to make sure they've met our deadlines and can shut things down without any delay in shipping or manufacturing. So this CNY I'd like to acknowledge all the hard work and dedication that goes into making these products!
Now onto the celebration... the Chinese New Year is based off the lunar calendar and there are 12 zodiac signs that rotate each year. Last year was the dragon and 2013 brings the Snake! The snake is a good mediator and therefore good at business. He is also cunning, intelligent, and wise. With regard to the home the snake is very sophisticated and cultured in home decor. They tend to like muted colors and prefer quality over quantity. With this in mind we've scoured the web for ways you can add a little snake to your life.
For the Home
Snakeskin pattern, whether embossed in metal, woven into fabric, or printed faux leather adds sophistication to your home. With muted soft colors in gray and champagne it also has the longevity to keep these pieces stylish in your home for years to come.
1. Nate Berkus pillow @ Target $24 | 2. MultiChic Accent Pillow $39 | 3. Capiz Shell Drum Pendant
4. Natalia Gold Frames $20 | 5. Custom mirror Bunny Williams | 6. Wayfair Round Serving Tray $82
7. Custom snakeskin upholstered chair | 8. Upholstered Burton Storage Box | 9.Wayfair Silver Ottoman $205
10. In2Green blanket | 11. Snakeskin side table | 12.Candice Olson Lamp | 13. CNY Sign on Etsy
For The Table
I remembered watching an episode of Million Dollar Decorators where Martyn & Mary sourced several snake designs for their One Kings Lane sale, so I googled them to see what I could find. The first two items were from that sale and the rest are more affordable/available options. Simple pattern and texture add a hint of snake, an adorable Gummi filled goblet would make a great favor for a table setting, and love that unique porcelain serpant mug!
1 & 2. Martyn Lawrence Bullard 1KL sale | 3. Pewter Snake Napkin Ring $76/4 | 4. Zara Home Snake Napkin Ring
5. World Market Snakeskin Placemat $7/2 | 6. Goblet of Gummi Snakes | 7. MultiChic table runner
8. Porcelain Serpent Mug | 9. Gulch Potter Snake Goblets | 10. Silver plated snakeskin bowl $65
In fashion the colors are used more liberally and I couldn't resist sharing that blue python bangle! The rest are easy and mostly affordable options that would be fun to add to any outfit. I am liking the Coach bangle that has a loosely interpreted scale design which reads more geometric.
1. Kara Ross Bangle | 2. Coach bangle | 3. Stella&dot Emerson bangle | 4. Snakeskin neclace
5. Lord & Taylor Snakeskin pants | 6. Gold snakeskin scarf @ target | 7. Snakeskin clutch @ target
8. Hobbs Snakeskin Pumps | 9. iPhone case @ Layla Grace | 10. Verali ballet flats | 11. Anaconda iPad case
12. Hobbs Snakeskin Belt | 13. Jimmy Choo Snakeskin Clutch | 14. Custom nail art | 15. Essie Nail Polish
So what do you think of adding a little snakeskin to your life?